How to View, Edit, Download, Print, Filter Documents
- Documents, Explained
- Previewing Documents
- Marking Documents as Read
- Editing PDFs
- Viewing a Document’s History (Audit Trail)
- Printing Documents
- Downloading Documents
- Deleting and Restoring Documents
- Changing a Document’s Properties
- Searching Documents
- Filtering Documents
- Sorting the Documents List
Documents section contains top-level folders created by your firm with different visibility/permissions:
Client can view and edit: documents that were uploaded to TaxDome by you or by your preparer. You can delete these or move them to different folders.
Client can view: documents that are shared with you by your firm. You can see them, but you can’t delete or manage them.
In the Documents tab, the following information is available:
- NAME: This is the document’s name and it has a file-type icon next to it.
- DATE UPLOADED: This is when the document was uploaded.
- UPLOADED BY: Within all folders with Client can view permission level, you’ll see the name of the firm member who uploaded it.
- DESCRIPTION: Descriptions are optional, so one may be available if the person who uploaded the document provided one.
- PENDING PAYMENT: The document is locked and awaiting payment of the linked invoice
- PENDING APPROVAL: The document is awaiting your approval.
- APPROVED: The document has your approval.
- DISAPPROVED: The document was rejected by you.
- PENDING E-SIGNATURE: The document is awaiting your e-signature.
- SIGNED: All users of the account the document is for have signed it.
- DECLINED SIGNATURE: All users of the account the document is for have declined to sign it.
- SEALED. Your accountant has the option to seal documents. Once a document is sealed, you cannot delete, edit, or move it to another folder.
Click on the document’s name to view it. All PDFs with Client can view and edit permission level are opened within our built-in viewer, where you can complete fillable forms, use annotations, change the orientation of a document, and more. To learn all about our built-in pdf editor, go here.
When previewing images (jpg, jpeg, png, jfif, gif) or PDFs from a folder with Client can view permission, rotate them clockwise or zoom in and zoom out by clicking icons on the right.
While viewing a document, you can also download it, view its audit trail, move it to another folder, print, edit, share, or delete it (some of these options are available only for documents with Client can view and edit permission). Click the three-dots icon in the upper right corner to access these options in the pull-down menu.
If there are two or more files in the current folder, move between them using the Previous and Next links on the top right.
Click Close at the bottom to return to the list of documents.
Marking Documents as Read
Once you have a new document uploaded by your firm, you’ll see a notification about it on your dashboard and in the menu. Click the notification or go to the Documents section to view uploaded documents.
For your convenience, all files that haven't been viewed or downloaded yet and all folders containing such files, are marked with a New tag. This tag is displayed until the file is either viewed or downloaded. You may, however, remove this tag for any file(s).
To do so, select the checkbox to the left of the documents you want to mark as read, then click Mark as read above the list. Or select a folder so that all the documents inside it become read.
Viewing a Document’s History (Audit Trail)
You always have the ability to check all of the events that have taken place with a document. TaxDome’s audit log lets you find out when someone has performed any of these actions:
- uploaded a document
- renamed a document
- viewed a document
- downloaded a document
- deleted a document
- restored a document
- modified a document (PDFs)
- signed a document
- declined to sign a document
- failed to sign with KBA
- sent a signature request
- canceled a signature request
- sealed a document
- unsealed a document
- approved a document
- disapproved a document
To access a document’s history, click on the three-dots icon, then click Audit Trail.
The following info is available here:
- USER: the first and last name and email address of the user who accessed the file
- EVENT: what took place with the file
- SERVER TIME: when that event took place
- CLIENT TIME: when the event took place for the client
- IP ADDRESS: the IP address of the user who accessed the file
- BROWSER: the browser used when the event took place
To print PDF documents and images (JPG, JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP, WEBP, etc.) from an account, click on the three dots icon to the far right of the document’s name, then click Print. You can also access the Print link from the document viewer.
To download your files, follow these steps:
- Select the files/folders you want to download, then click Download in the menu bar.
Note: You can also access the download link from the document viewer.
2. If prompted, choose where you would like to save the file, then click Save.
3. When the download finishes, you’ll usually see it appear at the bottom of your browser window. Click on the file’s name to open it. For more details on how to specify where files are downloaded, go here. If several files/folders were selected, the documents will be packed to a zip archive.
Deleting and Restoring Documents
To delete a document from TaxDome, put it in the Trash. The file will stay there for 120 days, and then will be permanently deleted. Files that were deleted from a folder with Client can view and edit permission by your accountant are also available in the Trash for 120 days.
- Select the checkbox next to the documents you want to remove, сlick the three-dots icon on the top right, then click the Delete link.
Another way to access Delete is from the document viewer.
2. Or find Delete in the menu bar.
3. Then click DELETE in the Delete Confirmation pop-up.
Note: You won't be able to delete files uploaded by your accountant.
Access all files that were deleted during the last 30 days by navigating to the Trash in the Docs section.
- Files removed from different folders are displayed in one list. You can see a document’s location in the PATH column.
- You still can download files when they are in the Trash.
- When you delete a folder, all files from a folder are placed in the Trash. Empty folders are deleted immediately.
To restore a document, click on the three-dots icon to the far right of the document’s name, then click Restore.
- If a location for the restored file does not exist, it is automatically created.
- The document Audit Trail is restored along with the file.
Changing a Document’s Properties
To edit file info, click on the three-dots icon on the right, then click Edit. You can change the file name and the description of the file here. Click Save to save your edits.
Note: You cannot edit files uploaded by your accountant.
To search for documents, type its name in the search field, then click enter on your keyboard.
The document list will be narrowed to your specifications.
Filters are useful when looking for specific types of documents. For example, you want to quickly find all your PDF files.
To filter your list of firm-prepared documents:
- Click the Filter button, then select the File Type.
- Click Apply filter.
The list is then narrowed to your specifications.
Sorting Documents List
Sometimes, you might want to sort a document list rather than filter it. The sorting option can also be used with the search and filtering functions to narrow down your search even more.
You can sort the list by who did the uploading or by the date uploaded. Click on the up-down arrow next to the UPLOADED BY or DATE UPLOADED column header to sort the list below it.